from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deep-sea cartilaginous fish of the family Chimaeridae, having a smooth-skinned tapering body and a whiplike tail.
- n. Genetics Variant of chimera.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of chimera.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cartilaginous fish of several species, belonging to the order Chimaeriformes of the class Holocephali. The teeth are few and large. The head is furnished with appendages, and the tail terminates in a point.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A less usual spelling of chimera.
- n. In zoology: A genus of fishes of strange aspect, representing the family
- n. A genus of bivalve mollusks.
- n. A genus of lepidopterous insects
- n. A genus of fossil organisms of uncertain character.
- n. Same as chimere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head and a goat's body and a serpent's tail; daughter of Typhon
- n. a grotesque product of the imagination
- n. a deep-sea fish with a tapering body, smooth skin, and long threadlike tail
˜A man is an animal™, in which the composition involved is a being in the absolute sense, it follows ˜Therefore a man is™, but from ˜A chimaera is a non-being™, in which the composition is a being in a certain sense only, it does not follow
In a mere 18 hours they transformed a TVR Chimaera (interesting choice since a chimaera is a mythological creature composed of parts of a number of animals) into the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust pictured above.
The dilemma for most eurosceptics who oppose British integration into a EU superstate — that political chimaera which is finally being brought into being by the EU constitutional treaty — has always been the assumption that EU membership is a take-it-or-leave-it deal.
It has also misled him but too often into depicting a world of suicides, ignoring or overlooking a secret hobby, or passion, or chimaera which is the one thing that renders existence endurable to so many of the waifs and strays of life.
Gilder McCarroll: April chose “chimaera” because the mythical creature, combining traits of a lion, a goat, and a snake or dragon, is frequently used by game designers.
It is, one might say, a necessary monster, not some ephemeral and casual creature like the chimaera or the catoblepas.
This anti-democratic entity, this chimaera, the bureaucratic regime of Euroland, has now come into being.
Todd Dezago: umm…okay–BEDLAM has been evacuated so that the security system can be upgraded–but not before the escaped chimaera, bent on revenge and murder, corners arisa, mg, hammerskold, and choopie. choopie gets away while the others are trapped in gremlin-made containment spheres. outside the mothmen have chosen this moment to attack BEDLAM, to make karl and the rest of the perhapanauts pay for their insolence.
The following species are near-endemic: Madagascar teal (Anas bernieri), Madagascar plover (Charadrius thoracicus), and long-tailed ground-roller (Uratelornis chimaera).
They are subdesert mesite (Monias benschi) and long-tailed ground roller (Uratelornis chimaera).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.