from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deciduous North American shrub or small tree (Prunus virginiana) in the rose family, having elongate clusters of small white flowers and astringent, dark red to nearly black fruit.
- n. The fruit of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several American wild cherry trees, especially Prunus virginiana
- n. The fruit of this plant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The astringent fruit of a species of wild cherry (Prunus Virginiana); also, the bush or tree which bears such fruit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of an American species of wild cherry, Prunus Virginiana, remarkable for the astringency of its fruit.
- n. In mining, choke-damp; after-damp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the fruit of the chokecherry tree
- n. a common wild cherry of eastern North America having small bitter black berries favored by birds
From its bitter fruit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)