Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of describing localities; chorography.
- n. The science of the geographical distribution of plants and animals; zoögeography and phytogeography. It includes the consideration not only of the habitats of species, but also the subject of faunal and floral areas, and the mapping of the earth's surface into zoòlogical and botanical regions characterized by the fauna and flora.
- n. The spatial equivalent to chronology; the science of determining the order in which places or regions occur or are constructed.
- n. biology The study of the spatial distribution of organisms.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Biol.) The science which treats of the laws of distribution of living organisms over the earth's surface as to latitude, altitude, locality, etc.
“Aspects of the ecology, taxonomy and chorology of the floras of Africa and Madagascar.”
“Pref., The great series of phenomena of comparative anatomy and ontogeny,.. chorology and cology. 1879 tr.”
“Those who are not satisfied with the synthetic proofs of the theory of evolution which are provided by comparative anatomy, embryology, paleontology, dysteleology, chorology, and classification, may try to refute the analytic proof given in my treatise on the sponge, the outcome of five years of assiduous study.”
“The striking and interesting facts of chorology can be explained only by the theory of evolution, and therefore we must count them among the most important of its inductive bases.”
“science of distribution," or chorology (chora = a place) -- has been pursued with lively interest since the discoveries made by Alexander von Humboldt.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chorology’.
Looking for tweets for chorology.