from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument used to measure horizontal angles, consisting of a brass circle and an index, all of one piece.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A surveying instrument, for taking horizontal angles and bearings; a surveyor's compass. It consists of a compass whose needle plays over a circle graduated to 360°, and of a horizontal brass bar at the ends of which are standards with narrow slits for sighting, supported on a tripod by a ball and socket joint.
- n. A graduated wheel for measuring tires; a tire circle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument used by surveyors for taking angles.
- n. A device for measuring the length of the tire of a wheel, consisting of a wheel of known circumference, which is rolled over the tire.
Sorry, no etymologies found.