from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An act of turning, coiling, or folding about a center, a core, or an axis.
- n. A single turn, coil, or fold; a convolution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. revolution, rotation or gyration around an axis
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of rolling round; the state of being rolled.
- n. A thing rolled round another.
- n. A roundabout procedure; a circumlocution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rolling around.
- n. The state of being rolled around or wound into a roll.
- n. One of the windings of a thing wound or twisted; a convolution.
- n. Figuratively, a winding; a roundabout method of procedure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of turning or winding or folding around a central axis
Middle English circumvolucioun, from Medieval Latin circumvolūtiō, circumvolūtiōn-, from Latin circumvolūtus, past participle of circumvolvere, to roll around; see circumvolve.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)