Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To daub, smear, or spread; dirty.
- n. A daub: as, a clart of grease.
- n. plural Tenacious mire or mud.
- n. A daub.
- n. Sticky mud, mire or filth.
- n. Geordie, pejorative A person who is unclean.
- n. Geordie, pejorative A fool.
- v. transitive To daub, smear, or spread, especially with mud, etc.; to dirty.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. Prov. Eng. To daub, smear, or spread, as with mud, etc.
- From Middle English *clart, found in the verb biclarten ("to cover or smear with dirt"). Further origin uncertain. (Wiktionary)
“Her stolen uniform was rumpled and dirty from sleeping in the alley, and she stuck out like a clump of clart on a fancy china plate.”
“So I waited while he gorged his way through half a dozen overblown courses - why the French must clart decent grub with glutinous sauces beats me - and when the waiters had cleared and we were at the brandy and cigars he sighed with repletion, patted his guts, and fished a mounted picture from his pocket.”
“And the toilets aboard the Leviathan “heads” in Service-speak were in the dark gastric channel, which carried off clart to turn it into ballast and hydrogen.”
“They were ruining a hundred picnics and risking disaster by landing here in the park, and probably scaring the clart out of every Monkey Luddite in London.”
“It sparkled prettily in the sunlight, but Deryn knew where that ballast came from—it was straight from the gastric channel, clart and all.”
“Fléchette bats were mortally afraid of the color red— it scared the deadly clart right out of them.”
“It was always damp and smelled of horse clart from the stables below.”
“A cloud of fléchette bats swirled farther up, and she saw a concussion shell arcing its way from the Leviathan, its big harmless boom about to scare the clart right out of them.”
“Jade is racist no doubt, but that bood clart Jo is something else, she is one racist blood clart.”
“Au terme de cette communication, nous pensons avoir expos avec assez de clart notre mthode dapproche, nos rsultats et nos conclusions en ce qui concerne la standardisation et lvaluation du mdicament indigne africain.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘clart’.
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for clart.