American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Based on or being a test of reading comprehension in which the test taker is asked to supply words that have been systematically deleted from a text.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A simplified spelling of close.
- n. education A form of written examination technique in which candidates are required to provide words that have been omitted from sentences, thereby demonstrating their knowledge and comprehension of the text.
- adj. based on or being a test of reading skill using the cloze procedure
- From closure ("completion"), with s changed to the phonetically identical z. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of closure. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Next they complete a "cloze" (or fill-in-the-blank) activity with sentences about the picture which are then put into categories of their own.”
“Other mangling word games include the school fad of ‘cloze’, cutting out words in text.”
“Try ‘cloze’ with Shakespeare or a scientific journal or anything you dont know much about.”
“Instead, a priority is made to have teachers regularly give “performance-based assessments” where students have to construct their own responses by writing essays or taking a “cloze test” where participants are asked to replace missing words and demonstrate understanding of context and vocabulary.”
“May 19, 2010 at 9:02 am seben ate – cloze da gate!”
“Mai Timmy nummer 3 lernd haow 2 opin teh dore – nebber manijd 2 cloze it agane tho!”
“Mii brane froze and I could nawt type … sigh — oh wwellz I wuz cloze to nawt seccond … sorta, kinda”
“Ai lubs it wen mai kittehs lai on my dirtee cloze becus dey smehl so gud.”
“Nawt bery eggsitin but nawt bahd an cloze tew hoam”
“We be luzin many lubed wunz befur ar own libez cloze.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cloze’.
Thanks to everyone who added to this list. (I moved it to a new URL, so all the words added on the first day are credited to me—sorry about that.)
(Here’s the original list with a slo...
revising for a competition 30 games
in 24 hours
5-Letter words with J, X, Q or Z
ADDAX ADMIX AFFIX ANNEX ATAXY AUXIN AXELS AXIAL AXILE AXILS A...
Testing WordOperation Test
Words that can be pronounced identically but are spelled differently. I've started with unusual or extensive sets. In some of these sets, no one speaker would pronounce them all the same. I've trie...
a list of words from the indo european root ar- and variations : to fit together
My ever expanding vocabulary...
comfortable, odd, delightful, even obscure, words
to use and rejoice in.
Looking for tweets for cloze.