from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous insects of the order Coleoptera, characterized by forewings modified to form tough protective covers for the membranous hind wings and including the beetles, weevils, and fireflies.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the order Coleoptera.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any insect of the order Coleoptera; includes the beetles, weevils and fireflies
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the order of Coleoptera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Coleoptera; a beetle.
From New Latin Coleoptera, order name, from Greek koleopteros, sheath-winged : koleon, sheath; see kel-1 in Indo-European roots + pteron, wing; see pet- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)