from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An executive council or committee of equally empowered members, especially one supervising an industry, commissariat, or other organization in the Soviet Union.
- n. A group whose members pursue shared goals while working within a framework of mutual trust and respect: "This standing firm ... enables the college to be a community, a collegium of students and faculty working at common problems and possibilities” ( Robert A. Spivey).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A committee or council
- n. Any of several legal associations
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A corporation; especially, an independent and self-governing ecclesiastical body uncontrolled by the state. See collegial, 3, and collegialism.
There were in Rome other, more official bodies which bore the title collegium, as the
The stated aim of the collegium is "to revive the multicultural Belarussian tradition, to promote the democratic transition of Belarussian society within the European civilization and pan-European integration process."
The word collegium derived from con, "with", and lego, "to select", had the literal meaning of an aggregation of persons united in any office or for any common purpose.
The transfer order contains the disturbing implication that the dignity of the Sikkim High Court is less important than that of Karnataka for the collegium, which is exactly what angered the bar association and fuelled protests in the hill State when the proposal was mooted this April.
According to academics associated with the functioning of the task force the concept of a collegium is a pivotal recommendation of the Bill.
TIMES NOW: Given the controversy, do you think that the EC should be appointed through a collegium or in other words consensus?
Sibal said that the IIM directors have accepted the idea of collegium-based appointment.
Meanwhile, the SC collegium, which is likely to transfer Dinakaran to quell the lawyers 'upsurge against him, is awaiting the Survey of India's report on the extent of land Dinakaran has "amassed in violation of certain laws in Tamil Nadu".
The collegium is a disaster: the P.D. D.nakaran episode is an example.
Historical facts about the Pontifices in this period; a powerful exclusive "collegium" taking charge of the _ius divinum_.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.