American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various marine invertebrates of the class Crinoidea, such as the sea lilies and feather stars, that are attached to a surface by a stalk when young but may be free-swimming as adults.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the family Comatulidæ.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any crinoid of the genus Antedon or allied genera.
- n. free-swimming stalkless crinoid with ten feathery arms; found on muddy sea bottoms
- From New Latin Comātulidae, former family name, from Late Latin comātulus, having neatly curled hair, from Latin comātus, having long hair; see comate1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘comatulid’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for comatulid.