Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Community.
- n. The commonalty; the common people.
- n. In Scots law, a piece of land belonging to two or more common proprietors, and in general burdened with sundry inferior rights of servitude, such as feal and divot, etc.; a common.
- n. A corruption of comedy.
- n. Shakespeare's jesting mispronunciation of comedy, put into the mouth of Christopher Sly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Scots Law) A common; a piece of land in which two or more persons have a common right.
“Every year on Games Day I take pictures of the specimen conifers we have planted down the commonty, with associated grandchildren.”
““Down the commonty” is part of the mysterious family vocabulary which incomers (such as the people our children marry) find so difficult at first, although all have mastered it by now.”
“We planted ours when James and Cathy married, and it has struggled in the dry soil of the commonty, but is at last growing faster than the children.”
“Lisa, we use the word “commonty” just to mean “land-held-in-common”.”
“It was a good commonty, as Christopher Sly says; nor were we sorry when it was done.”
“Is not a commonty a Christmas gambold or a tumbling-trick?”
“A stranger in the Tenements in the afternoon would have noted more than one draggled youth in holiday attire, sitting on a doorstep with a wet cloth to his nose; and, passing down the commonty, he would have had to step over prostrate lumps of humanity from which all shape had departed.”
“The congregation, which belonged to the body who seceded from the Established Church a hundred and fifty years ago, had split, and as the New Lights (now the U. P.'s) were in the majority, the Old Lights, with the minister at their head, had to retire to the commonty (or common) and hold service in the open air until they had saved up money for a church.”
“Sam'l's design was to forestall him by taking the shorter path over the burn and up the commonty.”
“Mr. Watts was conducting the service on the commonty.”
‘commonty’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for commonty.