American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various combined substances, such as mortar or plaster, formed by mixing ingredients.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as compost, 4.
- n. Same as composition, 5.
- n. A mixture of resin, whiting, and glue, used for ornaments on walls and cornices instead of plaster of Paris: called specifically carvers' compo.
- n. The sum or dividend paid in composition of a bankrupt's debts; also, the portion of the monthly wages paid to a ship's company.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A mortar made of sand and cement.
- n. A carver's mixture of resin, whiting, and glue, used instead of plaster of Paris for ornamenting walls and cornices.
- n. A composition for billiard balls.
- n. A preparation of which printer's rollers are made.
- n. A preparation used in currying leather.
- n. Composition paid by a debtor.
- Short for composition. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I mean we can pay prisoners thousands in compo for being made to withdraw from drugs without batting an eyelid but the merest sniff of helping someone decent & the world goes bonkers.”
“Liverpool should be demanding compo from the Spanish FA.”
“The Telegraph are reporting that anyone held past 28 days but not charged will be eligible for £3,000 a day compo which is said to be exciting interest among MPs and MEPs named after seaside towns - Conwy, Chichester, Dover - as £90,000 tax free in a month almost matches their own winnings.”
“For the condensing pipes, "compo" tubing of 1/2-inch outside diameter is convenient.”
“The supply pipe has a siphon-piece of "compo" tubing at the top, to draw off the water when the tube has been filled by suction, and a small tap at the bottom.”
“In my horrible desire to "compo" everything, the very postman becomes my enemy because he brings no letter from you; and, in short, I don't see what's to become of me unless I hear from you to-morrow, which I have not the least expectation of doing.”
“Python and the Stephen Fry compo « dudegalea dudegalea interstellar systems engineer”
“In the good old days of mix-tapes, the length of a home-made compo was dictated by the length of the tape.”
“You don't pays your money, and takes your compo if it turns out to be a shocker.”
“SOME people may be ringing their friendly compo solicitor as I write.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘compo’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Australianisms & other Oz-related vocabulamary.
From Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. Expect lots of new-to-me words and/or just pleasing words encountered in this book, perhaps mostly Australian slang.
Looking for tweets for compo.