from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An independent bass line, usually realized on a keyboard instrument, in which numerals written underneath the notes indicate the kinds of harmony to be played. Also called basso continuo, figured bass, thoroughbass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The bass line of music, especially for a keyboard instrument, that continues throughout a work
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Basso continuo, or continued bass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as figured bass, which see, under bass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bass part written out in full and accompanied by numbers to indicate the chords to be played
Italian, from Latin continuus, continuous; see continue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)