from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A line on a map that joins points of equal elevation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A line on a map through points of equal elevation, often height above sea level.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the line in which a horizontal plane intersects a portion of ground, or the corresponding line in a map or chart.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surveying, a line joining points of equal elevation on a surface; a line or level carried along the surface of a country or district at a uniform height above the sea-level.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a line drawn on a map connecting points of equal height
Sorry, no etymologies found.