from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various mostly deciduous trees or shrubs of the genus Erythrina in the pea family, native to and widely cultivated in warm regions, having trifoliolate leaves, showy red or orange flowers, and pods containing often brightly colored seeds. Also called coral bean.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the trees of the genus Erythrina.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a tropical, leguminous plant, of several species, with showy, scarlet blossoms and coral-red seeds. The best known is Erythrina Corallodendron.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the leguminous genus Erythrina.
- n. A small tree of northern India, North China, Korea, and Japan, Hovenia dulcis, belonging to the buckthorn family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various shrubs or shrubby trees of the genus Erythrina having trifoliate leaves and racemes of scarlet to coral red flowers and black seeds; cultivated as an ornamental
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.