from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sculptured basket of flowers or fruits used as an architectural ornament.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decorative basket for the display of flowers or fruits.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sculptured basket of flowers; a corbel.
- n. Small gabions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In fortification, a small basket or gabion, to be filled with earth and set upon a parapet, to shelter men from the fire of besiegers.
- n. In architecture and decorative art, an ornament in the form of a basket containing flowers, fruits, etc.
French corbeille, from Late Latin corbicula, little basket, diminutive of Latin corbis, basket.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.