from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of the steroid hormones produced by the adrenal cortex or their synthetic equivalents, such as cortisol and aldosterone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a group of steroid hormones, secreted by the adrenal cortex, that are involved in a large range of physiological systems.
- n. Any of several synthetic hormones of related structure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a steroid compound produced by the adrenal cortex, or a synthetic analog of such a compound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex or synthesized; administered as drugs they reduce swelling and decrease the body's immune response
Sorry, no etymologies found.