from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A steroid hormone, C21H30O5, produced by the adrenal cortex, that regulates carbohydrate metabolism and maintains blood pressure. Also called cortisol.
- n. A preparation of this hormone obtained from natural sources or produced synthetically and used to treat inflammatory conditions and adrenal failure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A steroid hormone, produced by the adrenal cortex, that regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates and maintains blood pressure.
- n. A synthetic version of this hormone used to treat Addison's disease and other conditions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an adrenal-cortex hormone (trade names Hydrocortone or Cortef) that is active in carbohydrate and protein metabolism
Sorry, no etymologies found.