from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A measure of distance in India, varying from one and a quarter to two and a half English miles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Hindoo measure of distance, varying from one and a half to two English miles.
- n. A thing (only in phrase below).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kiss.
- n. The unknown quantity in an algebraic problem. Also cos, cosa.
- n. In India, a road-measure of variable extent, ranging from 1 to 2 miles (rarely more), being usually about 1½ miles, especially in Bengal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (in India) a unit of length having different values in different localities
From Hindi कोस (kos), Pali koss, from Sanskrit क्रोश (króśa, "cry, yell; measure of distance"). (Wiktionary)