from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Archaic A coarse or scolding woman.
- n. Archaic A man who busies himself with domestic matters traditionally regarded as suitable only for women.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of cot-quean.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who busies himself with affairs which properly belong to women.
- n. A she-cuckold; a cucquean; a henhussy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man who busies himself with the affairs which properly belong to women.
- n. A coarse, masculine woman; a bold hussy.
The twelfth, _bayoguin_, signified a "cotquean," a man whose nature inclined toward that of a woman.
The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898 — Volume 07 of 55 1588-1591 Explorations by Early Navigators, Descriptions of the Islands and Their Peoples, Their History and Records of the Catholic Missions, as Related in Contemporaneous Books and Manuscripts, Showing the Political, Economic, Commercial and Religious Conditions of Those Islands from Their Earliest Relations with European Nations to the Close of the Nineteenth Century
"Her husband, who at best is but a cotquean - one of those fellows who has a dastardly fear of his wife, which, you know,
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.