from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An open space or notch between two merlons in a battlement or crenelated wall.
- n. A crenature.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The space between merlons in a crenelated battlement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See crenelle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The peak at the top of a helmet.
- n. Same as crenelle.
- n. In botany, a tooth of a crenate leaf; a crenature.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of a series of rounded projections (or the notches between them) formed by curves along an edge (as the edge of a leaf or piece of cloth or the margin of a shell or a shriveled red blood cell observed in a hypertonic solution etc.)
- v. supply with battlements
- n. a notch or open space between two merlons in a crenelated battlement
Middle English, from Old French; see crenelated.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French crenel ( > modern French créneau), diminutive of cren ("notch"). (Wiktionary)