Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the island of Crete or to its inhabitants.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the island of Crete, south of Greece, pertaining to Turkey since 1669; specifically, a member of the indigenous Grecian population of Crete. In the New Testament the form Cretians occurs (Tit. i. 12).
- n. The name of an ancient sophism. A Cretan is supposed to say that Cretans always lie, which leads to the conclusion that he must be lying when he says so. The accusation being thus refuted, the testimony of Cretans may be accepted, and in particular that of this Cretan. For another variation, see
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to Crete, or Candia.
- n. a native or inhabitant of Crete
“Crete has a mild climate but in such high altitudes (Zominthos is almost 1,200 meters above the sea level), it always snows during winter months, making these areas almost inaccessible for the ‘foreigners’ who do not know cretan mountains.”
“Hanging on a hook above her mailbox was a cretan labyrinth that someone had cut out of metal with a welding torch.”
“Ross Daly, the master of cretan lyra, performs here with the Trio Chemirani and four other musicians.”
“ZORBA'S DANCE composed by Miki Theodorakis based on the tune ARMENOHORIANOS SYRTOS composed by the cretan musician Giorgis Koutsourelis (1914-1994) DANZA DI ZORBA composta da Miki Theodorakis sulla base della melodia ARMENOHORIANOS SYRTOS composta dal musicista cretese Giorgis Koutsourelis (1914-1994) performers: - Sakis Rouvas ”
“NBC officials declined to comment about Roethlisberger's tournament status, but Weidinger said that participants have cretan obligations to meet.”
“Description: cretan olive hills ~ (1600x640) stretch!”
“Leaves: still using the paler green, and using 2 strands of thread, stitch the leaves using cretan stitch.”
“The stitches used in this design are: long and short stitch, chain stitch, stem stitch, cretan stitch, and braid stitch.”
“paleoglot anatolian babylonian germanic internet italic ludology eteo-cretan extispicy game programming”
“Their is an elitist fallacy that seems to continuously permeate academia as well as physics that if you don’t have a Ph.D. or tenure (or a bunch of papers that have been cited in other work); that you are an imbecilic cretan.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cretan’.
words that answer the question "What do you call someone from ?"
Looking for tweets for cretan.