from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A card game for from two to four players in which the score is kept by inserting small pegs into holes arranged in rows on a small board.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A point-counting card game for two players, with variants for three or four players; the (cribbage board) used for scoring to 61 or 121 points in numerous small increments is characteristic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A game of cards, played by two or four persons, in which there is a crib. (See crib, 11.) It is characterized by a great variety of chances.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game of cards played with the full pack, generally by two persons, sometimes by three or four.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a card game (usually for two players) in which each player is dealt six cards and discards one or two
“Really … because I’m what one might call a cribbage master,” Ben said.
Just as a solitary sailor will beguile the tedium of empty days at sea by a kind of cribbage, in which the left hand plays against the right, so I laid odds for and against myself on such trifles as these, and even went so far as to keep an account of my successes and my failures.
However, I fear they are retreating, and minority indulgences such as cribbage are going the same way as dominoes, shove ha'penny, bar billiards, and the very jolly, unpretentious boozers in which they used to be played day and night.
He loved fishing, camping and playing card games such as cribbage and Texas hold 'em, she said.
We shouldn't even have to ignore him ... he should simply shut up and go play cribbage with grandma. elaine bergstrom
One night, not long after the return, Scott and Matt sat at a game of cribbage preliminary to going to bed.
It was warm and comfortable, and he was playing cribbage with the Factor.
When we lived together during college, we would play cribbage for hours at a time, and our friends would gather around the table long into the night and would even continue playing the following day.
We took a walk up the street and Capa just stopped and joined a game of cribbage that some fishermen were playing, and next there would be a girl, and he joked 'Where's your boyfriend?'
Sometimes we play backgammon or cribbage, and sometimes we go to bed early.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.