from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Zoology A comblike structure, such as the respiratory apparatus of a mollusk or a row of spines in some insects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A respiratory system, in the form of a comb, in some molluscs
- n. A row of spines in some insects
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the gill-combs, gill-plumes, or primitive branchial organs of mollusks; the respiratory organ of a mollusk in a generalized Stage of development.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. comb-like respiratory structure serving as the gill of certain mollusks
New Latin, from Greek kteis, kten-, comb.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (from the Greek for comb) (Wiktionary)