from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various mosquitoes of the genus Culex, which includes the common house mosquito (C. pipiens).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various mosquitoes of the genus Culex, some of which carry disease
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of mosquitoes of the family Culicidae, to which most of the North American species belong. Some members of this genus are exceedingly annoying, as Culex sollicitans, which breeds in enormous numbers in the salt marshes of the Atlantic coast, and Culex pipiens, the common house mosquito, breeding very widely in the fresh waters of North America. (For characters distinguishing these from the malaria mosquitoes, see anopheles, above). The yellow-fever mosquito is now placed in another genus, Stegomyia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of the family Culicidœ, or gnats. A common species is C. pipiens. See gnat, mosquito.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Culicidae: widespread genus of mosquitoes distinguished by holding the body parallel to the resting surface
Latin, gnat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)