Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of madness in which the afflicted person imagines himself to be a dog, and imitates its voice and actions.
- n. medicine A delusion in which a person believes he or she is transformed into a dog.
- n. anthropology, folklore A shape-shifting ability between human and canine forms.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A kind of madness in which men fancy themselves changed into dogs, and imitate the voice and habits of that animal.
- Coined based on Ancient Greek κύων (kuōn, "dog") and ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos, "man; human"). (Wiktionary)
“All those who are interested in the spread of human culture among the lower animals (and their name is legion) should make a point of not missing the really marvellous exhibition of cynanthropy given by the famous old Irish red setter wolfdog formerly known by the SOBRIQUET of Garryowen and recently rechristened by his large circle of friends and acquaintances Owen”
“All those who are interested in the spread of human culture among the lower animals (and their name is legion) should make a point of not missing the really marvellous exhibition of cynanthropy given by the famous old Irish red setter wolfdog formerly known by the _sobriquet_ of”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cynanthropy’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Words that I used to know.
Words that tease and dance upon the tongue
Looking for tweets for cynanthropy.