from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various water fleas of the genus Daphnia, some species of which are commonly used as food for aquarium fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A water flea of the genus Daphnia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of the genus Daphnia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of minute fresh-water cladocerous entomostracous crustaceans, the type of the family Daphniidœ, and representative of the whole order Daphniacea or Cladocera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. minute freshwater crustacean having a round body enclosed in a transparent shell; moves about like a flea by means of hairy branched antennae
New Latin Daphnia, genus name, from Greek Daphnē, Daphne.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the genus name. (Wiktionary)