American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various aquatic crustaceans of the class Branchiopoda, such as the fairy shrimp and water flea, characterized by a segmented body and flattened, leaflike thoracic appendages.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal belonging to the order Branchiopoda. Also branchiopode.
- Gill-footed; branchiopodous. Also branchiopodan.
- n. Any of the very many aquatic crustaceans of the class Branchiopoda, such as the fairy shrimps and water fleas
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One of the Branchiopoda.
- n. aquatic crustaceans typically having a carapace and many pairs of leaflike appendages used for swimming as well as respiration and feeding
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the subclass Branchiopoda
- From Branchiopoda (Wiktionary)
- From New Latin Branchiopoda, class name : Latin branchia, gills; see branchia + New Latin -poda, -pod; see -pod. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Tadpole shrimp are large branchiopod crustaceans that occur in arctic Canada and on the prairies.”
“In short, she was a branchiopod, to be vulgarly precise, a water-flea.”
Looking for tweets for branchiopod.