from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the servant that brings the meat to the table at a meal.
- n. the official title of the steward in a medieval English nobleman's household.
- n. the most senior of the five great officers of state in the medieval French royal court.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who brings meat to the table; hence, in some countries, the official title of the grand master or steward of the king's or a nobleman's household.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A court official corresponding to the steward of an ordinary household. Sometimes called discthegn.
From Late Latin dapifer, from Latin daps ("feast") + ferō ("bear"). (Wiktionary)