from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various often carnivorous marsupials of the family Dasyuridae of Australia, Tasmania, and adjacent islands, including marsupial mice and rats, native cats, the Tasmanian devil, and the Tasmanian wolf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various Australasian carnivorous marsupials, of the family Dasyuridae, which include the marsupial equivalent to cats
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A carnivorous catlike marsupial quadruped of Australia, belonging to the genus Dasyurus, called also native cat. There are several species.
- n. any of several related animals, such as the Tasmanian devil; -- called also ursine dasyure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal of the subfamily Dasyurinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several more or less arboreal marsupials somewhat resembling martens
New Latin Dasyūrus, genus name : Greek dasus, hairy + ourā, tail; see ors- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)