from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A private school for pupils living at home.
- n. A school that holds classes during the day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A school attended during the day, as opposed to a boarding school.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one which the pupils attend only in daytime, in distinction from a boarding school.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A school the sessions of which are held during the day: opposed to night-school.
- n. A school in which the pupils are not boarded: distinguished from boarding-school.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a school building without boarding facilities
- n. a school giving instruction during the daytime
- n. a private school taking day students only
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.