from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Law An official order authorizing a person's execution.
- n. Something that destroys hope or expectation; a deathblow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A warrant that authorizes capital punishment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which puts an end to expectation, hope, or joy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, an order from the proper authority for the execution of a criminal.
- n. Figuratively, anything which puts an end to hope or expectation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a warrant to execute the death sentence
Sorry, no etymologies found.