from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To neutralize the magnetic field of (a ship, for example).
- transitive v. To erase information from (a magnetic disk or other storage device).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To reduce or eliminate a magnetic field, especially from the hull of a ship, or from a computer monitor
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. To make a (steel) ship's hull nonmagnetic by applying an opposing magnetic field.
- n. To remove irregular magnetization in (the electron gun of a cathode-ray tube); -- used to improve picture quality, especially in computer monitors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make nonmagnetic; take away the magnetic properties (of)
de- + gauss.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From de- + gauss. (Wiktionary)