from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To deceive (an opponent) in ice hockey by a fake: deked the goalie with a move from left to right.
- n. A fake, intended to deceive a member of an opposing team.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A feint, fake, or other move made by the player with the puck to deceive a goaltender or other defender.
- n. A series of feints, fakes, or other moves made by the player with the puck to deceive a goaltender or other defender.
- n. A quick detour.
- v. To avoid, go around, or dodge an object, person, or conversation topic; often by using trickery.
- v. To execute a deke.
This makes her very attractive to any gobblers, so be sure this deke is highly visible, up on a small knoll or hump if possible.
` ` Usually, I kind of deke, '' Mitchell said of his shootout goal, ` ` so that time I told myself, 'You know what?
"Hideki threw it low, so I could kind of deke the runner."
"Usually, I kind of deke," Mitchell said of his shootout goal, "so that time I told myself,
When the deke reaches the end of the cord, the block hesitates, then swims back to the other side.
You don't want any slack between the deke and the line to get the best movement when you jerk the cord.
Every hair on his body stood up and he started slowly circling the deke in a wide arc, first along the far side, then round to the near, and eventually straight downwind of the imposter, not 5 yards from the base of my tree.
Instead of trying to deke Miller, Crosby surprised him by sliding the puck beneath him.
If you have a lot of speed, you usually don't deke too much and we had good back pressure, which is all I could really ask for and luckily made the save.
Midway through the second period, Leblanc blazed up the left side, beat the defense with a tremendous burst of speed and cut sharply for the net where he deftly deposited a scintillating goal following a blurry fast deke, all while being hauled down from behind.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.