from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Relinquishment of an office or function.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Resignation; abdication.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of demitting, or the state of being demitted; a letting down; a lowering; dejection.
- n. Resignation of an office.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A lowering; degradation; depression.
- n. A laying or letting down; relinquishment; resignation; transference.
Middle English dimissioun, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin dīmissiō, dīmissiōn-, dismissal, from dīmissus, past participle of dīmittere, to release; see demit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin dēmissiō, from dēmittō. (Wiktionary)