from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vestigial digit or claw not reaching the ground and found on the feet of certain mammals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vestigial digit, hoof or claw that does not reach the ground.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In any animal, esp. of the Herbivora, a rudimentary claw or small hoof not reaching the ground.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The rudimentary inner toe of the foot, especially the hind foot, of some dogs.
- n. The false hoof of deer and other ungulates.
Origin unknown, perhaps from alteration of toe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)