from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A muscle that dilates a body part, such as a blood vessel or the pupil of the eye.
- n. An instrument that dilates a body part, such as a cavity, canal, or orifice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any nerve or muscle that causes part of the body to dilate
- n. Any drug that causes such dilation
- n. An instrument used to dilate an orifice or cavity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, widens or expands.
- n. A muscle that dilates any part.
- n. An instrument for expanding a part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which widens or expands; specifically, a muscle that dilates; a dilatator.
- n. A surgical instrument, of various forms, used for dilating a wound, a canal, or an external opening of the body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a muscle or nerve that dilates or widens a body part
- n. a surgical instrument that is used to dilate or distend an opening or an organ
- n. a drug that causes dilation
Sorry, no etymologies found.