from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A serpent whose bite was fabled to produce intense thirst.
- n. A genus of harmless colubrine snakes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A serpent whose bite was said to produce a mortal thirst.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] The typical genus of serpents of the family Dipsadidæ. D. dendrophila is East Indian, D. fasciata West African.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of fresh-water bivalves, of the family Unionidæ, or river-mussels.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of butterflies, of the family Lycænidæ.
Sorry, no etymologies found.