American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Botany A partition dividing an organ, such as an ovary or a fruit, into chambers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany: A partition; especially, one of the partitions within ovaries and fruits formed by the coherence of the sides of the constituent carpels. Spurious or false dissepiments are partitions otherwise formed.
- n. In hymenomycetous fungi, same as trama.
- n. In zoöl. and anat.: In general, a septum or partition; that which puts asunder two or more things by coming between them: as, the dissepiment of the nostrils.
- n. Specifically— One of the imperfect horizontal plates which connect the vertical septa in corals, and divide the loculi between the septa into a series of intercommunicating cells. The internal separation or division between the segments of annelids, as worms.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A separating tissue; a partition; a septum.
- n. (Bot.) One of the partitions which divide a compound ovary into cells.
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the transverse, calcareous partitions between the radiating septa of a coral.
- Latin dissaepīmentum, partition, from dissaepīre, to divide : dis-, dis- + saepīre, hedge off (from saepēs, hedge). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Now an image is the likeness of a thing either in form or substance, or in both, but not in the sense that the image is a part of or a dissepiment of the original.”
“You will find nothing but blunder and embarrassment result from any endeavour to enter into further particulars, such as "the relation of the dissepiment with respect to the valves of the capsule," etc., etc., since "in the various species of Veronica almost every kind of dehiscence may be observed" (C. under V. perfoliata, 1936, an”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dissepiment’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
This quickly got bigger and weirder than originally intended, so now it's housing terms that relate to the study of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. See also Dinosaurs, Pterosaurs, Ichthy...
Terms used in botany
Looking for tweets for dissepiment.