American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Fastened by lapping one edge of the front of a garment well over the other and usually having a double row of buttons with a single row of buttonholes. Used especially of a coat or jacket.
- adj. Having a double-breasted coat: a double-breasted suit.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made alike on both sides of the breast, as a coat or waistcoat having two rows of buttons and buttonholes, so that it may be buttoned on either side.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Folding or lapping over on the breast, with a row of buttons and buttonholes on each side.
- adj. (of clothing) fastened by lapping one edge of the front well over the other usually with a double row of buttons
“The materials are straight from the haberdashery, even with the feminine touch of a clover-leaf collar on a long, double-breasted jacket.”
“At Gap, for example, there's a gray check car coat for £ 79.50; at Theory, a smart, ¾ - length, burned-camel colored double-breasted wool, £ 540.”
“Marc Jacobs The fall collection from Marc Jacobs included such styles as three-piece m é lange tweed suits and long, double-breasted jackets with the feminine touch of a clover-leaf collar.”
“My father is wearing a double-breasted blue blazer, my mother some sort of Chanel-like suit.”
“Acne's double-breasted jacket and M by Missoni's wide palazzo pants are great and more flattering than drop waists if – like me – you're a bit pear.”
“From a smoke-colored twill kilt worn over a skinny trouser, to a jet wool cashmere utility vest worn over a charcoal-striped tweed double-breasted chesterfield, Mr. Chai delivered, literally, new dimensions to his love of slouchy elegance to sublime effect.”
“Everything Chris said, in whatever you've called trumps, plus never trust a trial lawyer who wears a double-breasted suit to work. scribbler50,”
“Allen-who portrayed himself as worth more than $350 million even though federal records show his annual income was less than $18,000-stood in his trademark gray slacks and double-breasted, blue blazer and responded with what”
“Style mavens, please note that Bottega Veneta and Dunhill amongst others showed narrow-cut double-breasted suits on the runway for summer.”
“Without him, the workplace would still be full of untidy-looking blokes in unsuitable double-breasted, roomy suits thank you, Giorgio Armani and "American Gigolo".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘double-breasted’.
Adjectively used nominal phrases with a "-" inside.
Phrases using the word "double." No doubles allowed. ;-)
Words ranging from smartly sartorial to embarrassingly ornate.
Looking for tweets for double-breasted.