from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small black-and-white sea bird (Alle alle) of the Arctic and northern Atlantic oceans, having a short bill and a stout body. Also called little auk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small back and white seabird, of the genus Alle, of the north Atlantic; the little auk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A guillemot (Uria grylle), of the arctic regions. Also applied to the little auk or sea dove. See under dove.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sea-dove or little auk, Mergulus alle or Alle nigricans, a small urinatorial or diving bird of the family Alcidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small short-billed auk abundant in Arctic regions
Diminutive of dove1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)