Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tumbling or falling down; especially, a sudden or heavy fall; hence, ruin; destruction.
- n. A tumbling or falling down; a sudden or heavy fall; an overthrow; ruin; destruction.
- n. In ironmaking, a pipe that leads combustible gases downward from the top of the blast furnace to the hot-blast stoves, boilers, etc., where they are burned.
- v. To come down; fall down; come or fall apart.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Sudden fall; downfall; overthrow.
- n. (Iron Manuf.) A pipe for leading combustible gases downward from the top of the blast furnace to the hot-blast stoves, boilers, etc., where they are burned.
- From down- + come. (Wiktionary)
“But little cause have I to speak, for I too am a downcome.”
“It's just more bad luck than anything else that you should have gone to the expense of setting up in style in a lord's castle and then having this downcome.”
“` ` Thou maun do without horse-sheet and surcingle now, lad, '' he said, addressing the animal; ` ` you and me hae had a downcome alike. we had better hae fa'en in the deepest pool o 'Tarras.' ”
“P.S. – The Carmichaels of Rosscraig are just ruined with feasting and wasting, and their place is to be sold and everything roupit – a sair downcome for their name.”
“If it had only been the arm of flesh we had to encounter, we were noways afraid -- though it was a sad downcome from the solemn awe of coming to grips with the prince of darkness and his emissaries.”
“Pride _will_ have a downcome," said some, with a gleg look and a smack of the lip, trying to veil their personal malevolence in a common proverb.”
“It was a downcome, though, for a man who had been proud of driving behind his own horseflesh to pack in among a crowd of the Barbie sprats.”
“Again, that success would be a salve to Gourlay's wounded pride; the Gourlays would show Barbie they could flourish yet, in spite of their present downcome.”
“What a downcome from his dignity to be the patron of a golf course or the chaplain of a curling club, instead of enjoying the fame and name of the holy well.”
“John felt the humiliation of this downcome in a far keener way than David did.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘downcome’.
Looking for tweets for downcome.