from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. ornamental needlework done by drawing threads to form lacelike patterns.
- ornamental work made by drawing out threads from fine cloth, and uniting the cross threads, to form a pattern.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of ornamental work done in textile fabrics by cutting out, pulling out, or drawing to one side some of the threads of the fabric while leaving others, or by drawing all into a new form, producing a sort of diaper-pattern.
- n. This work was the original form of lace, the addition to it of needlework producing the simplest varieties of lace. The early name for this was cut-work. Modern drawn-work is generally left in simple patterns without the addition of needlework.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ornamental needlework done by drawing threads to form lacelike patterns
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Open - or drawnwork is widely esteemed, particularly in the blouses and dresses made by the women of San Felipe de los Herreros and San Juan Nuevo.
San Felipe de los Herreros is recognized for the textile handicraft of open - or drawnwork, called "deshilados."
Here is a delightful warren of one-stop shopping for everything in arts and crafts from Michoacán - chuspata figurines, tablecloths, rebozos, pottery, wooden chests and toys, Christmas wreaths, wrought iron, laquerwork, embroidery and lacy drawnwork.
He created a beautiful white-on-white deshilado (drawnwork) blouse for me with roses.
Mexican and Teneriffe drawnwork are practically the same.
Honor laid his hand gently back on the bedspread of exquisite Mexican drawnwork and stood up.
So I took him by the hand and led him over to the curio store and let him look at the Mexican drawnwork.
He already had six drawnwork doilies and a vanity box with white and red powder in it.
The napkins were of heavy linen with drawnwork borders.
SAMPLER in drawnwork, écru linen thread, made by Anne Gower, wife of Gov.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.