from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A temple of ancient Mexico, usually built on a pyramidal mound.
- n. The mound on which such a temple was built.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A terraced Mesoamerican pyramid surmounted by a temple.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Literally, God's house; a temple, usually of pyramidal form, such as were built by the aborigines of Mexico, Yucatan, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A structure of earth and stone or brick, used as a temple or place of worship by the Mexicans and other aborigines of America.
Nahuatl : teōtl, god + calli, house.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Nahuatl, literally meaning "God-house". (Wiktionary)