Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common pochard or red-headed duck, Fuligula ferina.
- n. The ruddy duck, Erismatura ribida.
- n. The female scaup duck, Fuligula marila.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The pochard; -- called also
dunair, and dunker, or dun-curre.
- n. An American duck; the ruddy duck.
- dun + bird, from its colour. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dunbird’.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, or quacks like a duck, then you should probably list it here.
A list of birders' "shorthand" names, traditional nicknames, non-English names, and obsolete names for feathered creatures worldwide.
Interesting blog entry here on naming U.S. birds.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Looking for tweets for dunbird.