from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An object made of a soft, pliable material, such as cotton or rubber, and fitted into the ear canal to block the entry of water or sound.
- n. An earphone, especially one that fits into the ear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of protective clothing that is meant to be inserted in the ear canal to protect the wearer's hearing from loud noises or the intrusion of water.
- v. To fit with earplugs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an earphone that is inserted into the ear canal
- n. a plug of cotton, wax, or rubber that is fitted into the ear canal for protection against the entry of water or loud noise
ear + plug (Wiktionary)