from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fungus of the genus Geastrum, related to and resembling the puffballs and having an outer covering that splits open in a starlike form.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of puffball, of genus Geastrum, whose surface splits open in a star-shaped form
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A curious fungus of the genus Geaster, in which the outer coating splits into the shape of a star, and the inner one forms a ball containing the dustlike spores.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fungus of the genus Geaster; a kind of puffball having a double peridium, the outer layer of which breaks into segments which become reflexed, forming a star-like structure about the base of the fungus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any fungus of the family Geastraceae; in form suggesting a puffball whose outer peridium splits into the shape of a star
Sorry, no etymologies found.