from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to soil, especially as it affects living organisms.
- adj. Influenced by the soil rather than by the climate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. soil
- adj. relating to, or determined by, conditions of the soil, especially as it relates to biological systems
- adj. soil characteristics, such as water content, pH, texture, and nutrient availability, that influence the type and quantity of vegetation in an area
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Influenced or produced by the soil or its contents; arising from the soil: as, edaphic formations (see formation); edaphic influences.
From Greek edaphos, ground, soil; see sed- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἔδαφος (edaphos) + -ic. (Wiktionary)