American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A metal plate used in letterpress printing, made by electroplating a lead or plastic mold of the page to be printed.
- n. The process of making an electrotype.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A copy in metal (precipitated by galvanic or electric action, usually in the form of thin sheet) of any engraved or molded surface. Copies of medals, jewelry, and silverware, of woodcuts and pages of composed type, are common forms of electrotypes. The metal most used is copper, and the largest application of the process is to the preparation of plates for printing. The form of composed type is molded in wax, which is dusted or coated with blacklead in order to make it a conductor. The wax mold is suspended in a galvanic bath of sulphate of copper, through which a current of electricity is passed. The thin shell of copper which attaches to the mold is afterward backed with stereotype-metal. Also
electrostereotype, and commonly abbreviated electro.
- To make a plate copy or plate copies of by electrical deposition.
- n. a plate, made by electroplating a mold, such as used in letterpress printing
- v. to make such a plate
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A facsimile plate made by electrotypy for use in printing; also, an impression or print from such plate. Also used adjectively.
- v. To make facsimile plates of by the electrotype process; See electrotype, n.
- electro- + type (Wiktionary)
“Fabricates and finishes duplicate electrotype printing plates according to specifications, using hand tools, electroplating equipment, and metal casting, trimming, and forming machines.”
“Since that date electrotype plates have displaced stereotypes, as they afford a sharper, clearer impression and endure more wear.”
“If this was satisfactory, the block was delivered and from it an electrotype was made for printing.”
“~ Matter is often printed from electrotype plates which are prepared as follows.”
“The title page was drawn with pen and ink and a zinc etching made by photographic process, from which an electrotype plate was made.”
“Popular 12mo. edition; from new electrotype plates.”
“Printed from new electrotype plates from the last English Edition.”
“Another method of securing uniformity is the multiplication of plates by electro-deposition, the surface of the copper-electrotype plates being protected by the deposit of a film of steel which effectually prevents the wearing of the copper and can be renewed at will.”
“I have an electrotype copy from such a dish, the original of which is in Manchester.”
“It is an altar tomb of serpentine and alabaster, ornamented with marble mosaic and polished stones, bearing a recumbent effigy of Dr. Mill in his robes; at the feet are two kneeling figures, one an oriental character, and the other a student; the figure is in copper and was formed by the electrotype process.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘electrotype’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that, as I see it, have some fond connection to the Alice stories through their creation or particular use by Lewis Carroll. I mean to tie them all together with contexty comments!
inky sod, spreads like a disease
Looking for tweets for electrotype.