from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who writes for or compiles an encyclopedia.
- n. One of the writers of the French Encyclopédie (1751-1772), including its editors, Diderot and d'Alembert.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of a group of French authors who collaborated in the 18th century in the production of the Encyclopédie, under the direction of Denis Diderot.
- n. A person helping to write an encyclopedia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The compiler of an encyclopedia, or one who assists in such compilation; also, one whose knowledge embraces the whole range of the sciences.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is engaged in the compilation of an encyclopedia.
- n. Specifically
- n. In French literature, one of the collaborators in the great Encyclopedia of Diderot and D'Alembert (1751-65).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who compiles information for encyclopedias
encyclopedia + -ist (Wiktionary)